Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wining

I attended a wine tasting event at the Grad House on campus last night with a few of the other CGL students. While the event was intended to be at least partially educational, I mainly went for some cheap wine (not that the wine itself was necessarily cheap, but tickets were only ten dollars - a bargain!) And while I did actually learn a few interesting things, it mostly reinforced my notion that "wine tasting" takes itself far too seriously, in my humble opinion.

For the event, we sampled eight different types of wine - four white and four red. Some salad and bread was served with the white wine and some lamb skewers (tasty, tasty lamb skewers) with the red. We also got some port (which was very sweet - I liked it), accompanied with some brie and crackers.

We were provided some papers with the wine list on it along with some space for taking notes, ostensibly for recording our impressions of the wine, though mine consisted mainly of things like "tastes like wine", "yup, still tastes like wine" and "remarkably, this tastes like wine." My palate is rather underdeveloped (I don't drink wine very often). I used the "notes" section for drawing a few sketches which more or less summed up the evening:

Overall, with nine glasses of wine and some food for ten dollars, the event was quite affordable (putting those grad association fees to work) and fairly enjoyable - I'd certainly go to another similar event in the future. It was more than I usually drink in a two hour time span (and wine seems to have a higher alcohol content than most things I drink), so yay for public transit.

Freak Out,
-TFitC

No comments: