Friday, March 23, 2012

Under Cover

Lets just jump right into things today with a potential cover design for my first Word Smith mini-comic:This was a fun one to do, though a bit time consuming (took about three hours). All of the characters from the first mini-comic (including the minor ones) are represented, though the titular Word Smith is only represented through his mask and, I suppose, the croquet mallets.

The next one sees the return of the FR characters that have previously appeared in the blog, this time for experimenting with various action-y poses.
The pose for Kyoujo (top one) I actually tried out in front of the mirror - it's doable, but not particularly comfortable. Both Gillin and Mordel have swords because, well, I like swords.

Next up is a close-up portrait of Gillin, which had the goal of trying to pay a bit more attention to detail than usual.
Turned out reasonably well, I think. The text at the bottom is her name - Gillin Eledhwen - written in Tolkien's tengwar script. For any tengwar purists that may stumble upon this, my no doubt idiosyncratic usage of tengwar is, ultimately, derived from my personal adaptation of it for writing english based on my understanding of how the script worked back when I was in high school and, I expect, probably varies somewhat from other more standard usages.

Anyway... for the last drawing today I'm going to deviate somewhat from my thus far standard practice of posting these in chronological order because the next drawing just fits best as a follow-up to the previous one. It should be obvious that my drawing style is heavily influenced by anime/manga. While I'm generally fine with that (I like the general manga-style look), I nevertheless sometimes think that I should try branching out now and then for practice and diversity and what not. So, I decided to try drawing one of my FR characters in a more realistic style. The natural choice was, of course, Gillin, since she's probably the one I've drawn most often:
Since manga hair tends to be rather gravity defying at times, it was interesting rendering her hair in a way that looked like it could be plausible while still recalling her original hair style. I'm not sure how well I succeeded in that, but it didn't turn out too badly. Also I think her eyes are a little too far apart. Overall, though, I was quite pleased with how this turned out. I may have to try this with some of my other characters in the future.

Well, that is all for the moment.
Freak Out,
-TFitC

No comments: