Friday, March 2, 2012

Have Some Perspective

Most of what I tend to draw is human(oid) characters, I don't usually draw other stuff like, say, scenery. This was one of the more challenging parts of doing my mini-comics - drawing all those things that I don't normally draw, especially when trying to use some sort of vaguely realistic perspective. So, I decided that I should try practicing drawing some perspective and other things from time to time:
The above is a drawing in two-point perspective. While I don't think that the perspective turned out too badly (given my relative inexperience in the subject), I clearly should not be allowed to design buildings and should stick with reference photos, at least until I get some more experience with these things. My reference for perspective is the book "Perspective! For Comic Book Artists" by David Chelsea. I didn't bother with the full construction for two-point, as it's somewhat complicated and time consuming, rather, I used some shortcuts for people who don't care so much about accuracy and just want something that looks reasonable. Even with those shortcuts, it still took me a while to draw - spread out over three days, though I'm sure part of that is due to inexperience.

The next drawing is another of my FR characters:
This isn't one of the characters that I draw very often and I didn't bother going back to check old sketches for reference since I don't mind exploring alternate designs for this character (though I don't think it's too different from previous versions). There are multiple things wrong with the pose - I was trying to work without a reference but, as will no doubt be a theme in this blog, more practice is clearly needed.

Last up for today is the above sketch which is a potential character design for a character that will show up at some point in my Word Smith comics, presuming I end up doing any more with those. Overall fairly happy with how it turned out. No other comments at this time.

And that's all for today. Hope everyone's brains are still firmly inside their skulls.

Freak Out,
-TFitC

No comments: