Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fly You Fools

It's time again for another post! Yay! Or not, your clickage may vary. Anywho, as I've previously commented on my need to practice foreshortening, I decided to do just that by doing some practice on perspective and foreshortening in the human figure.
Of course there's still a lot of practice to be done, but it's a start. The numbers in the image simply indicate the order in which the different sketches were drawn.

The next image was inspired by some dialogue from The Lord of the Rings. I've been a fan of The Lord of the Rings for a long, long time now, though it doesn't seem to come up much on this blog. Anyway, Gandalf's words when he faced off against the balrog on the bridge of Khazad-dum had been running through my head for about a week or so (though I'm not entirely sure why) and I decided to draw a sequence of six panels inspired by that particular encounter.
Obviously, the character in the sequence is not Gandalf - as I mentioned, this was inspired by the scene in question and is not meant to be an illustration of it. I used the text from the book version of the scene, though the movie dialogue is fairly close - it drops the first "You cannot pass" and uses "shall not" instead of "cannot" at the end. The character above is actually one that I borrowed from a drawing in one of my older sketch books that was fairly close to the image in my head and saved a bit of time in having to come up with a character design. (Incidentally, the older drawing was labelled "mahou kiepu shoujo" or "magical cape girl", for the curious.)

And that, as they say, is that.

Freak Out,
-TFitC

No comments: