Friday, May 13, 2011

Pencil Pushing

Continuing on with my comic project, I finished the penciling for the first page - voila!

Drawn on a 28cm x 35.5cm piece of bristol board using a mechanical pencil. Lots of smudging going on, but that seems to be par for the course when working with pencil, at least for me.

The whole process took a bit longer than I'd been expecting. When I've drawn in the past, it's usually been limited to one or two characters standing in fairly neutral poses and not interacting with anything. Drawing actual scenes where characters need to be interacting with objects and, to an extent, with each other is quite a bit different! Not to mention, there's a lot more potential detail that goes into drawing a complete scene. Additionally, attempting to draw in something vaguely resembling correct perspective is not something I've really done before and I've probably made lots of mistakes. I should probably do some perspective exercises sometime to try and get a hang of things.

The first panel probably took the longest to draw overall, seeing as it's the largest and probably also most detailed. The last panel also ended up taking longer than expected as it was giving me lots of trouble, though mostly that was due to perspective issues.

The next step in this whole process is inking the page which is venturing into completely new territory for me. I don't think it'll take as long overall as the penciling did, but we'll see!

Ultimately, I think everything's on track to be ready for my tech talk next week, so we'll see how it all goes.

Freak Out,
-TFitC

No comments: